While we can often dream of moving to paradise, the reality is that the process of moving is time-consuming and complicated. Thus, a moving timeline is a great tool to have. Starting at 8 weeks out and working forward to your move date is key. Here are some tips to implement a stress-free moving timeline.
8 weeks before moving
- Decide whether you will hire professional movers or do the packing/moving yourself. If hiring movers, make sure movers provide estimates and in home surveys, and catalog your home inventory.
- Formulate a moving budget based on your moving preferences and necessities.
6 weeks before moving
- Purge items from your home that you do not want to bring to your new home. You can lighten your moving load by selling, donating, and giving away items you no longer need.
- Gather packing supplies and reach out to your neighborhood for used moving boxes. Social media can be a great resource for pooling some items you may need without having to pay for them.
4 weeks before moving
- Begin packing up items in boxes if you are not hiring professional movers to pack items for you. Keep in mind what items you may still need access to as you are still one month from your move date (these are most likely the items you will be unpacking first in your new home, i.e. everyday kitchen items, bed linens, etc.)
2 weeks before moving
- Prepare your “open first” boxes for easy access in your new home. Be sure to label them as “Priority” or “Open First” to make it even easier!
- Change your address for all utilities, delivery companies, and with the postal office.
1 week before moving
- Begin cleaning out your fridge and defrosting your refrigerator
- Thoroughly clean all rooms and garage
- Gather all necessary documents for your move. This could include birth certificates, marriage licenses, and social security documents.
- Contact your moving company to ensure all information is accurate
- Take a final walkthrough of your old home
- Take a deep breath!